If you want a motion you support to pass; try the following strategies before the meeting:
- Have the facts! When you know what is needed you can be more persuasive in your arguments
- Line up support in advance
- make certain your supporters will be attending the meeting–remember, every vote counts.
- give supporters background information on your position. Have them speak in support of your motion.
- Have a copy of the organization’s bylaws with you at the meeting in case any question arises regarding your motion’s appropriateness to the organization’s procedures.
- Have a motion chart and the organization’s parliamentary authority available to take to the meeting for consultation.
Next. Getting a motion passed at the meeting . . .